Lecture 7 - Musings


Cities and Desire
Of the two speakers, Chris Schofield, and his look into surrealism, hit a chord with me.
I have always liked surrealism; fantasy and anything that can make the mundane either disappear or change in some way.
 The Modernism movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries started looking forward for its design inspiration, rather than backward. I know that sounds weird, but to my mind, was a movement that brought back the “delight” into design, in particular the Arts and Crafts/Art Nouveau/Jugenstihl period, and some extent, Art Deco, by looking to nature and imagination, for inspiration. 
Gaudi
Montaner
Jujol


I have a real love of Barcelona and all things Gaudi, Jujol and Montaner and the Modernismé movement in northern Spain. Would love to live there sometime in the not too distant future.

 I do sometimes wonder whether I have been born into the wrong century.
Chris Rawlinson, on the other hand, I found to be rather dry in his presentation. His idea that architecture is a mediator between our desires and fears and it is shaped by our desires made me think of the medieval castles built because of a fear of attack from somewhere. I had a similar thought regarding cathedrals of the same period, built because of a desire to honour and praise God, as well as showing other cities that their faith was more than theirs. Ego wasn’t a dirty word in those days.
http://gaudiallgaudi.com/AA002.htm
http://www.gaudiallgaudi.com/images/jujol.jpg  
http://www.gaudiallgaudi.com/images/Lluis_Domenech_Montaner.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment